The site was purchased by the Trustees in 1752 for £350, and the first Almshouses were built in 1753.
At that time the land was in use as tenter grounds on the western side and market gardens on the east near to Bear Lane.
Tenter grounds were fields covered in long wooden frames, onto which newly manufactured cloth was hooked and stretched taut to dry after the process of fulling (the removal of oils, dirt and impurities). The saying ‘on tenterhooks’ comes from this process of stretching cloth taut on the frames and leaving it out to dry.
The charity has built Almshouses in the 18th, 19th & 20th centuries, with the existing buildings on the site being developed during the 1970s.
We are proposing a highly sustainable building and are currently exploring specific measures as the design evolves.
The site benefits from an excellent level of accessibility to public transport.